Picking your nose, chewing fingernails, not writing things down, using your mobile phone while driving, drinking coffee close to bedtime. Smoking. Automatically criticising and judging yourself and others. Focusing on the negative. Promising and not delivering. Acting like a victim. Working unsafely, drinking and driving, talking and not listening, paying your bills late. Living unconciously. Speeding, eating prepared foods with lots of salt and fat. Maxing out your credit card. Making faces!
I am certain that you could contribute more to this list, perhaps many more! But what are bad habits? How do they get to be bad habits? Why are they bad?
Bad habits are those things we often do and say (or don't say) that cause a negative reaction or result. In other words a bad habit controls and effects our lives in automatic ways that limits us. We end up calling them bad habits because of the negative or limiting effect on ourselves and others. They are "bad" because they restrict us and the way we live our life and they do it "under our radar." In other words, we do not notice that we do use them or what impact they have.
How do you get rid of bad habits, disruptive habits? You get rid of them by learning to live mindfully, by becoming aware of how you think and behave. You can only change that which you are aware of. Where are you right now with your thoughts, behaviours and beliefs?
How do you learn to live mindfully? TTT; Things Take Time. But here is a short list:
- Start simply by noticing what you do and say during the day.
- See and write down those things you do over and over, your habits. You do not have to get all of them, just a few, even one to start. And there is no wrong answer.
- Look at them once a day and see what the results of these behaviours are. Use 5 minutes to start. How do these habits effect yourself, others and situations?
- Ask yourself if you like the results of your behaviours. Ask if they could be improved or eliminated. How?
- Now you have created a starting point for Mindfullness.
- Mindfullness muscles need to be exercised, so you must practice. As well, Meditation is a wonderful tool to build strength of focus.
- Celebrate your successes big and small. Do not focus on what you feel you do wrong. There is no wrong answer.
- This is a very exciting process and improves life happiness and results a lot. Remember, TTT, Things Take Time. And, no investment no reward.
Learn to live mindfully by getting some life coaching.
Then practice, practice, practice until mindfullness becomes automatic. A new habit.
Live long, live happily and live mindfully, Marianne and Bob.
Please Like Us, Tweet Us or Comment Below. Thank you.